Saturday, April 4, 2009

Feeling better! (and other stuff..)

Thank you everyone for your well wishes, I've officially crawled out of bed and on the mend. The cold is pretty much gone, just in time for me to spend the majority of my sunday tomorrow at the library working. I find I never get work done at home, there are too many distractions and I've learned that I tend to use ANY excuse to stall my work. We're talking laundry, dusting, cleaning the bathrooms or re-organizing my closet.

So going to the library forces me to focus in a quiet environment. I'm beginning to panic just a little bit about the amount of school work that is piling up. My graduate school applications are also due this week and next, so that is another source of stress. I'm still crossing my fingers that I get into my first choice. It occured to me last night that I have no idea what I'm going to do next year if I don't get in anywhere...

I'm still very much considering getting my TESSOL (teaching english overseas) certificate and possibly doing a year or 6 months abroad somewhere. My dilema with that is that I would prefer someplace in Europe, or maybe Russia, but most of the teaching courses are in places like China or Korea. I'm not sure I'm ready for such a culture shock.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on this?

4 comments:

  1. Go to Taiwan:) Maybe there's work in Northern Europe. Oh, Japan is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ella,
    Glad you're feeling better! I know that the Netherlands has a teaching school called Berlitz, so that may be worth looking into. A friend of mine went to Korea for a month teaching at an English summer camp. It was a great experience for her, and it was short enough that she didn't feel culture shocked. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. True what both Bluefish & H say. Regarding ESL, I've recently looking into this for myself & it is wise indeed to get a proper certificate/degree for teaching English as a second language. It will help increase your chances of finding work abroad. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much everyone!

    I've been looking online, and it seems as though there are a lot of jobs available if you have the certification, so we shall see what happens.

    ReplyDelete