Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Circus

Something that many people don't know about me is that I've always been kind of obsessed with the Circus. I say "the circus" loosely because any circus will do. What gets me is the animals, acrobats and entertainers.

It probably goes back to my childhood in Germany when small circuses used to come to my town. My friends and I would spend countless hours wandering through the menagerie and watching the show with a childlike awe. When my mom and I were grocery shopping in a neighboring town that happened to have a circus, I was known to throw fits until I was promptly taken to said circus. I was an only child, can you tell?

One of my all-time favorite toys growing up was this Playmobile circus set - I had the center ring, animal trailers  and little acrobat people.
                                        
I just finished reading "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern, and while the chronology of the book was a bit confusing, the plot was amazing. It brought back all sorts of memories for me of circuses I went to as a child.



When most 4 year olds are asked what they want to be when they "grow up" you tend to get typical answers of "princess" , "teacher" , "fireman" or "a transformer" - well this former 4 year old proudly proclaimed she wanted to be a trapeze artist. And to be honest, that ambition hasn't exactly faded. To this day one of my top "bucket list" things is to take trapeze lessons or go to circus school. 



No comments:

Post a Comment