Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Teachable Moments [2] - Field Trip!

Blog Status: Ella is extremely excited for tuesday

Although this is only my second "teachable moments" post, I've had so many amazing experiences the last few weeks I wouldn't even know where to start. I'm at my placement 3-4 times a week now, so both the classes know me pretty well and are comfortable having me do simple tasks like assigning homework.

The best part, on tuesday I get to spend the whole day with the grade 10 class on a field trip! My placement teacher asked me if I wanted to come along and help chaperone. I was a bit unsure at first, but as soon as I found out where they were going, I knew it was something I had to do. I re-arranged my actual class schedule and cleared it with my professor so he won't mind me missing his class.

The grade 10 History class is just starting their Unit on World War II and the Holocaust so they're going to the Holocaust Education Center. The few IRL (in real life) friends who read this will know how much this trip means to me, and funnily enough it's one place I haven't been to.

I feel like in some ways my academic career has come full circle, and teaching about the Holocaust is something I'm meant to do - and I'm really interested to see how the students react.

2 comments:

  1. I miss field trips.. *sigh*

    Nonetheless, hope you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss them too - I don't remember going on field trips in high school..? These kids have trips practically every week, it's crazy

    This one isn't until tuesday, but I'll for sure be blogging about it after the fact!

    ReplyDelete