Wednesday, June 2, 2010

World Cup Fever

Blog Status: Ella is once again lacking productivity at work and is thinking about Germany

I heard on the radio this morning that the World Cup is exactly 9 days away from today – and I can’t tell you how much that excites me. I’m really not a team sports kind of girl – I danced all my life, but I’ve never been very good at much else. Moreover, I have little patience for religiously following team sports of any kind, but World Cup Soccer I love.

Growing up in Germany, soccer was a big part of my life. All the boys in my class played soccer both at recess and after school in leagues. Us girls used to go to the soccer field after school and watch the boys play. Soccer was also a HUGE deal in 1990 when (west)Germany won the cup. I might have been in Kindergarten at the time, but even I remember the celebrations. There is something very powerful about an entire nation cheering for a team and celebrating the subsequent win.

World Cup Fever returned to Germany once again in full swing in 2006 because Germany was the host country. I was lucky enough to be in Germany during the World Cup that year, and it was amazing. For those few weeks everyone bonded together. It didn’t matter what race or religion you were, everyone sat glued to the television supporting their team. It was also an added bonus that Germany made it all the way to 3rd place that year, only to lose out to France and then Italy.

I have high hopes for my team this year, and I’m really hoping they can follow through accordingly


Who are you cheering for in the World Cup?

3 comments:

  1. Soccer is a big thing here in Singapore too. I'm not much of a fan for the sport but you can't help catching on to the World Cup fever when it's all people around you can talk about at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never actually watched a soccer game before, hmmm I probably should lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love LOVE the World Cup! I grew up playing soccer competetively and watching the World Cup makes me smile. I have been counting down since last month, my friends and family are probably sick of hearing about it :) I will be cheering on the USA but I love watching any match.

    ReplyDelete