Saturday, February 20, 2010

An Untitled Post about the Future

Sometimes I wish Blogger had "status updates" the way Facebook does. If it did, right now my status would read "Ella is so frustrated and upset that even cleaning isn't helping"

The Culprit: My family.

The Problem:
Here goes. I mentioned a few days ago that I was busy thinking about my future and applying to Graduate Schools. Well, as of Wednesday I had sent in my application for one University and right now I'm in the process of applying for Internships at a few Museums. I'm still keeping the locations and specifics to myself, but safe to say that everywhere I'm applying to would mean a BIG change in my life.

Like moving to the States - by myself.

Obviously I'm scared to death, but my mom has been encouraging me and supporting me for so long now that recently I've started to believe I really could do it all by myself. This morning my Grandmother found out about my plans.

Before I go any further, I should give you a smidgen of background info on my beloved Grandmother. Have any of you seen the show "Gilmore Girls"? Well, my Grandmother puts Emily Gilmore to shame. I love her unconditionally, but she is probably the most critical, passive-aggressive, pessimistic person you will ever meet. A lot of the stunts that Emily pulls on the show can actually be taken right out of my family. Minus the amount of money the Gilmore's had.

Anyway, I digress.

My Grandmother, in no uncertain terms, told me that I would not be able to handle moving to a different city all by myself and that my chosen career path is too limiting and that I would never be successful.

My family seems to think and hope that my specific interest in life is just a silly passing phase and that I will one day "come to my senses". I have never felt so dejected and un-supported by my family in my whole life. I'm not giving up by any means, I just really wish they could at least try to support me. Knowing I have to work against what they think just makes everything that much harder.

6 comments:

  1. Ella!!!! I believe in you 100%!

    Don't let them get you down.

    Follow your heart, they will still love you and support you...

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever considered that it might be over-protectiveness & not lack of support? I'm also making a huge change this year in my life & my parents seem rather defensive when it comes to it, but they know that I have it my way & no other way. Don't worry, I will always support you & you should always know that chasing your dreams means taking chances & throwing yourself head first into situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sucks that you feel like you have to work even harder because you don't feel supported by your family.

    I know you can do it! And while it might be scary and intimidating, it might just be the best thing you ever do for YOURSELF.

    GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's rough. Not having the support of your family behind you is the worst...especially when they're the ones that are ALWAYS supposed to back you up! I've been there. I think we all have actually, at some point.

    I'd say go with your gut and your confidence! You can totally do it if you set your mind to it. Seriously. You seem like a very level-headed woman Ella. Don't let them talk you down.

    PS: LOVE the GG reference. Obsessed with that show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's so tough, sometimes family just doesn't understand. They aren't always right you know! You do what you feel is best:)

    PS- Yes, I'm alive! I hope your doing well! Email me if you want the full explaination but I should be returning to blogging soon :)

    Love,
    Jordan from imperfectable

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog : ) I am a new follower.

    Check out my blog as well when you get a chance.

    www.the-blisslist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete