Sunday, July 25, 2010

I've arrived in Germany plus some odds and ends

Blog Status: Ella is trying to get used to this German keyboard and cannot find the plus sign

Guten Tag! That's Good Afternoon in German for ya

I've now been in Germany for 48 hours, and I think I'm almost over the culture shock. I guess it isn't so much culture shock as a return to my childhood when I'm here, but either way it takes some getting used to.

I'm still getting over the jet lag, which is a b*tch BTW, and once again getting used to the rain that accompanies every German summer.

As you've probably noticed, my little blog has undergone some major changes recently. My old template site has decided to give up, forcing me to scramble and create something using the new blogger "design" feature. I'm not totally thrilled with it, but until I get home to my beloved laptop it will have to do.

As you also may notice, my spelling may get atrocious while I'm away becasue I can't get used to this stupid keyboard and I don't have the time or patience to proof read everything I write.


I've decided to create a feature while I'm away about life with my grandparents. When I come back from Germany each year, I regail my IRL (in real life) friends with tales of "we don't do that". It may sound like I'm bitching or complaining, but I really truly do love my GG (German Grandmother). She just has a habit of driving me crazy sometimes.

My GG's favorite expression is "Das macht man nicht" which loosely translates to "one doesn't do that". This list includes (but is by no means limited to)

- watching tv during the day
- when one does watch tv, it must only be the news or something German
- fixing ones hair in public (apparantly this is impolite)

Today I had the pleasure of riding in the car with GG and my grandfather. I should tell you that GG has not been behind the wheel of a car in 20 years, but she is probably the worst backseat driver in the world. So much so that my grandfather takes out his hearing aids when he drives to tune her out. She does not stop complaining or "warning" him of things on the road the entire trip. From point A to point B. Today I made the mistake of forgetting my iPod at home - Big mistake.

I guess that's enough for now, I only have a limited time on the computer before GG comes over and wants to see what I'm doing. When I informed her a few minutes ago that I was blogging, her response was "that terrible thing where you write all about yourself and send it out for the world to see and rapists to find you" *GG purses lips and shakes her head disapprovingly*

See what I deal with? There are times I believe she thinks I'm still 5 and not 25.But I know she means only the best.

I'll post more Life with GG updates tomorrow or the next day

4 comments:

  1. Oh man...I'm gonna find this so exciting! If only Emily Gilmore was German, lol!

    Have a great trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy Germany, Ella! Can't wait to hear more about GG. Like what Pinkbilly said, she does sound like Emily Gilmore! And your spelling is just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha I almost forgot about "we don't do that". I can't wait to see what gets added to the list this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that GF takes out his hearing aid for car trips with GG. I remember my own German GF turning his down really low because my grandmother did the same thing!(it must be a male german thing!) lol awwww grandparents what are you going to do with them!?! lol

    ReplyDelete